Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy   •   WRIGHT SPIRIT AWARD   2010



Designed in 1941 and built in 1951, the Stuart Richardson House is a rare example of the Usonian House based on the hexagonal unit module conceived by Architect Frank Lloyd Wright.  An oasis in the middle of a suburban landscape of Glen Ridge, NJ, the house was constructed of red brick, cypress wood, red concrete mat and glass.


Over the past twelve years the owners have embarked on a rigorous campaign to restore the Richardson House to the original integrity and beauty that Mr. Wright had envisioned.


Though the first few years were focused on historic research and gathering of information through the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation Archives and the Getty Institute, as well as emergency and immediate temporary repairs, a master plan was put in place to undertake more serious invasive endeavors for the next ten years.


The first project was an evaluation of the failure of Hydronic Radiant Heat Floor System which had been replaced by Electric Radiant Wall Panels by a previous owner.


In 2000 the rusted metal kitchen cabinet system (white) was replaced with the appropriate cypress wood cabinetry. It was custom designed and detailed following the original plans, then intricately fit to the complex 120º angles by woodworkers with fine craftsmanship comparable to the original house.


By 2003 the owner had decided that time had come to replace the Radiant heating System, which would entail shoring the roof load and replacing the majority of the entire concrete mat and hexagonal unit grid incorporating all new heating, plumbing, electric and other systems.


Beginning in 2006 the challenge sifted to the rehabilitating the degraded roof and replacement of the decayed fascia and soffit around the entire house. 


For more on other Frank Lloyd Wright preservation projects visit :                        


                                                                               www.tarantinostudio.com

 
Stuart   Richardson    House                                                       ca 1951